Hi! Happy 4th! 🙂
Hope you all had a great day! Mine went a little something like this:
– Morning hike – check
– Baked black beans recipe – check (and delicious!)
– Getting all of my things unpacked and organized – well……
Turns out it was a bigger project than I anticipated. I unpacked a fair amount of things but a large chunk of the day was spent organizing my parents’ pantry and refrigerator just so I had a place to put my stuff!
My mom and I did a number on the kitchen. The fridge and pantry needed some serious attention. I’d have posted ‘before’ and ‘after’ pics but you wouldn’t believe me. We threw away a bunch of old stuff and now there’s actually a semblance of order (a must for me). I also stumbled upon this little guy…
…and he had friends. Lots of them. I ate one and then quickly relocated them to the back of the pantry, but I still know they’re there…
I paused late morning for lunch and to test out a couple recipes.
Here’s the recipe for the ‘baked’ black beans:
– 5 large medjool dates, chopped
– Sauteed in olive oil on medium-low heat for about 6-8 minutes
– Added 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (this will kind of cook out like when you add wine or liquor to a dish), turned heat to low
– Added 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
– Then I smashed them with potato masher
– At the last minute I mashed in about 1/2 tsp each cinnamon and agave
These ‘fakeout’ baked beans turned out pretty good! 🙂
Here’s the finished product:
I also made a mashed sweet potato recipe on the fly that ended up being really tasty!
– 1 large sweet potato, cooked and peeled (I microwaved for about 6 minutes on high wrapped inside a paper towel but you could definitely bake the potato in the oven if you have more time)
– Added potato to a small pot on medium-low
– Added 1/4 c almond milk (you could use regular if you prefer), mashed with potato masher, cooking about 3 more minutes
– Stirred in 1 tsp cinnamon and agave and a pinch of salt
– Sprinkled in 1 tbsp chopped pecans and then ran through the mix with the potato masher one more time so all of the nuts became finely chopped
I served up my creations alongside a turkey burger with hummus and avocado and a small arugula and cucumber salad.
I may have gone back for second and third helpings of the beans and potato – I did have to test my recipes after all. 😉
My living space is still pretty much in shambles but I’m trying not to stress about it because
1. It’s not going to do me any good, and
2. See reason #1
I still have about a million things I could be doing but I think I’m just going to relax and watch the Bachelorette with my sister instead 🙂
See you in the morning!